The Programa Gira de Estudios (Study Tour Program) from Sernatur launched «Ecotest«, a virtual survey that allows tourists to know how committed they are to the ecosystem when traveling.
Through a quiz, the system tests the level of commitment that travelers have regarding sustainability, which includes questions about recycling, taking care of water and respecting local communities. Once completed, the result will show the level of commitment.
«Remember, the decisions we take on our trips allow us to contribute to respecting and taking care of the environment«, highlights Ecotest.
This tool is part of the commitment the Study Tour Program adopted regarding the environment in 2019, when it was added to the beach cleaning activity carried out in September every year in 120 countries.
Due to the pandemic in 2020, and tourism standing still, this activity was suspended to safeguard the health of tourists. In this way, and to encourage other measures for sustainable tourism, this application was created, advising the travelers on contributing and making a positive impact on the environment while traveling.
7 sustainable actions
- Take care of the environment. Use reusable bottles and bags and avoid single-use plastics.
- Take your trash with you. You can reuse it as ecobricks or leave it at recycling points.
- Reduce your water and power consumption. One small action, like reusing your towels and sheets for more than one day and turning off the lights can make a big contribution.
- Do not destroy the place you are visiting, or write, paint, or draw on walls or other surfaces. This includes taking archeological objects, rocks, plants, and other elements important for the ecosystem as «souvenirs».
- In archeological or paleontological areas, walk only on authorized trails.
- Respect the traditions, cultures, and lifestyles of the local community.
- Support the local economy. Choose to buy handcrafts and gifts made by the local people with traditional and representative materials from the place.